Suchen & Finden
Dynamische Navigation einblenden Dynamische Navigation ausblenden
Link to our english Homepage
Link to our chinese Homepage

Residency for the purposes of study/training 

  • Überblick


    Foreign nationals from non-EU/EEA states require a residency permit for the purposes of study/training in order to undertake study or training in Germany. This permit can be obtained for the following study/training programmes:

    - participation in language courses that are not preparatory for study (intensive German language courses)

    - in exceptional circumstances for attending school

    - in cases of approval by the Federal Employment Agency for occupational training and further qualification

    For study at a public or publicly approved university or comparable educational institution in Germany, you will require a “residency permit for students”.

    Note: Citizens of EU states can undertake study/training programmes in Germany on the basis of their freedom of movement rights. They must be able to present evidence of sufficient health insurance and of a secure means of subsidence if they are not employed. The same applies to other citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA) as well as Swiss citizens.

    The residency permit for the purposes of study/training is for a limited period and is valid only for this purpose of residency. If the purpose of residency changes, the responsible authorities must be notified immediately. You must apply for an extension to the residency permit in good time before its expiry.

    Please note: If you are resident in Germany for the purposes of study/training, you cannot obtain a permanent residency permit.

    - Apply for a residency permit for students from states outside the EU/EEA

    Who do I have to contact?

    - Please contact the German overseas representation (embassy/ consulate) for the issue of a visa before travelling to Germany.

    - after entering Germany: the foreigners’ registration office in the district in which you normally reside.
    The foreigners’ registration authorities in Hesse are the district administrators and mayors of independent towns and of municipal towns with more than 50,000 inhabitants.

    Tip: The Foreign Office has a list on its website of the representations of the Federal Republic of Germany abroad.

    - List of representations of the Federal Republic of Germany abroad.



    Before entering Germany, you may have to apply for a national visa in your home country.

    After entering Germany, you must apply for the residency permit in writing to the foreigners’ registration office before your visa expires. The foreigners’ registrations authority is, depending on the location, either the town administration or the district administration.

    Since 01.09.2011, residency permits have been issued in the form of a card with additional electronic functions. You will find more information under “Apply for electronic residency document (eAT)”.

    Note: If approval by the Employment Agency is required (e.g. in the case of occupational training or further qualification), the foreigners’ registration authorities will acquire this through internal procedures.


    Requirements for the issue of the residency permit are:

    - that you fulfil the passport and via obligations.
    For the passport obligation, it is sufficient if you possess ID documents in lieu of a passport.

    - that you have the means of supporting yourself.
    The assessment threshold is the ceiling on funding in accordance with the Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz (BAföG – Federal Training Assistance Act).

    - that there are no grounds for your deportation.

    - that your residency poses no threat nor risk to the interests of the Federal republic of Germany.

    - that you fulfil the entry requirements for the training/study programme in question.


    - Evidence of the fulfilment of passport and visa obligations

    - Evidence of a secure means of subsistence

    - Evidence that there are no grounds for your deportation.

    - Evidence that your residency poses no threat nor risk to the interests of the Federal republic of Germany.

    - Evidence of fulfilment of the entry requirements for the training/study programme (in the original)


    - Validity of up to one year: €100

    - Validity of more than one year: €110

    Note: The fee may be waived in exceptional circumstances only.

    Legal foundations

    - Section 5 Residence act (AufenthG) (General preconditions of issue)

    - Section 7 Residence act (AufenthG) (Residency permit)

    - Section 8 Residency act (AufenthG) (Extension of residency permit)

    - Section 17 Residency act (AufenthG) (Other training/study purposes)

    - Section 51 Residency act (AufenthG) (Termination of the legitimacy of the residency; continuity of limitations)

    - Section 45 Residency ordinance (AufenthV) (Fees)


    You would like to complete part of your training or education here in Germany and already have a residency permit for the purposes of training/study in another EU member state: In most cases, you will also be granted a residency permit for Germany.

    You have a residency permit for other purposes (e.g. for family reasons) or a permanent residency permit: In this case, you can undertake a training/study programme in Germany without any additional residency permits.

    If you complete a qualified vocational training programme in Germany, you may work for up to ten hours per week irrespective of the training. Following successful completion of the qualified vocational training, the authorities can extend your residency permit for up to one year under certain circumstances. During this time,

    - you can look for employment appropriate to your qualifications, provided this job is available for foreign nationals, and

    - may work without limitation.

    Processing time

    4 – 6 weeks

  • Kontakt

Durch die Nutzung dieser Website erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass diese Seite Cookies verwendet.