Suchen & Finden
Dynamische Navigation einblenden Dynamische Navigation ausblenden
Link to our english Homepage
Link to our chinese Homepage
Sie befinden sich hier:
Rathaus Online
Stadt Dreieich
Dezernat II
Fachbereich 1 - Bürger und Ordnung
Bürgerangelegenheiten und Wahlen
Employment as an au pair – applying for a residency permit (EU)

Employment as an au pair – applying for a residency permit (EU) 

  • Überblick


    Citizens of member states of the European Union (EU member states) enjoy freedom of movement within the European Union, which also includes the right to the free movement of workers. They do not require a visa to enter Germany and are not subject to restrictions with regard to taking up employment.

    Only those working as au pairs who are citizens of EU member states which joined the European Union on 01.05.2004 (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, the Czech Republic and Hungary) or on 01.01.2007 (Romania, Bulgaria) require an EU work permit to take up such employment; an application should be made for this permit at the Employment Agency responsible in the place of employment. If employment as an au pair in Germany should last for longer than 3 months, au pairs who have citizenship of the EU can also obtain a Bescheinigung über das gemeinschaftsrechtliche Aufenthaltsrecht (certificate on Community residence entitlement) free of charge from the foreigners’ registration authorities after registering with the registration office.

    Au pairs who are citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway (EEA states) can also obtain a free of charge Bescheinigung über das gemeinschaftsrechtliche Aufenthaltsrecht (certificate on Community residence entitlement) under the stated requirements.

    Au pairs from Switzerland may obtain a residency permit in accordance with the Freedom of Movement Agreement between the EU and Switzerland.

    As evidence of their right to freedom of movement, citizens from all EU member states as well as those from EEA states receive a Bescheinigung über das gemeinschaftliche Aufenthaltsrecht (certificate on Community residence entitlement), which is issued free of charge and for an unlimited period.

    The residency permit in accordance with the EU/Switzerland Freedom of Movement Agreement is also issued free of charge and for at least the period of the employment; it serves as evidence of the right to freedom of movement.

    Employment as an au pair may not be for longer than one year. Residency as an au pair in Germany is not the same as residency as a tourist or visitor. Residency as a tourist or visitor is always limited to three months in a half year at the most. Employment may in general not be taken up during a residency as a tourist, even employment as an au pair.

    Who do I have to contact?
    Please contact the foreigners’ registration authorities in the district in which your main domicile (domicile of your host family) is located.
    The foreigners’ registration authorities in Hesse are the district administrators and mayors of independent towns and of municipal towns with more than 50,000 inhabitants.




    First, you must register your main domicile. Then you can apply for the Bescheinigung über das gemeinschaftliche Aufenthaltsrecht (certificate on Community residence entitlement) at the foreigners’ registration authorities. The foreigners’ registrations authority is, depending on the location, either the town administration or the district administration.


    Requirements for issue of the certificate are:

    - For those employed as au pairs:

    - that you are between 18 and 25 years of age
    Citizens of the new EU member states (Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, the Czech Republic and Hungary) must be at least 17 years old. Minors require a written letter of consent from their parents or legal guardians.

    - that you have basic knowledge of the German language

    - that you have health insurance

    - that you are registered as having your main domicile with your host family

    - For host families:

    - that the host family speaks German as their native language.
    In general, at least one of the adult members of the host family must be a German citizen.
    The family may come from a German-speaking country or from a German-speaking part of a country. Foreign families may be considered in exceptional cases, if German is their usual language of communication.
    Families are considered to be married couples with or without children, as well as unmarried couples or single parents with a child/children in a common household.

    - a concluded au pair contract


    - valid passport

    - a recent passport photo

    - confirmation of registration of main domicile with the guest family

    - evidence of health insurance

    - au pair contract

    Legal foundations

    - Section 5 EU Act on freedom of movement (Bescheinigung über das gemeinschaftliche Aufenthaltsrecht – certificate on Community residence entitlement)

    - Section 284 Volume III of the Social insurance code (SGB III) (EU work permit for citizens of the new EU member states)


    Au pairs from non-EU/EEA states require an Aufenthaltserlaubnis zum Zweck der Au-pair-Beschäftigung (residency permit for the purposes of employment as an au pair).

    Apply for an au pair residency permit (non-EU/EEA)

  • Kontakt

Durch die Nutzung dieser Website erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass diese Seite Cookies verwendet.