Changing owner data
The licencing authority must be notified immediately of any changes to the owner data (personal changes), such as change in name through marriage or divorce and change in address.
The person in possession of the vehicle is obligated to notify the authorities. If this person is not also the owner of the vehicle, the owner is also obligated.
The changes will be registered in both the registration certificate part I (vehicle certificate – Fahrzeugschein) and registration certificate part II (vehicle document – Fahrzeugbrief).
If the address changes only within the certification district, the registration certificate part II does not require presentation. In this case, either a new registration certificate part I will be issued or a corresponding sticker will be attached to the exiting registration certificate part I. No changes will be made to the registration certificate part II.
If you have purchase your vehicle on credit or lease and the credit or leasing company have withheld the registration certificate part II (Fahrzeugbrief) as security, please contact this company to request that it forwards the document to the licencing authorities for amendment and as evidence of the right of disposal.
Who do I have to contact?
Please contact the licencing authority in your administrative district or your autonomous city.
Local competence is based on
- the domicile of the vehicle owner (main domicile according to the personal ID card) in the case of natural persons;
- the location of the main or branch office in the case of a legal person; this applies also to private companies that are registered in the commercial register (e.g. OHG and KG) or to a registered merchant.
- registration certificate part I (vehicle certificate – Fahrzeugschein)
- registration certificate part II (vehicle document – Fahrzeugbrief)
- For companies: in addition, business registration and, possibly, extract from the commercial register
- ID card or passport (with confirmation of registration or current proof of registration)
- For foreign residents: foreign passport and confirmation of registration or current proof of registration
If a third party is applying on your behalf, he/she will require a written power of attorney. He/she must also present your ID documents (in the original) to the registration authorities. He/she must be able to identity him/herself with a valid passport/ID card.
Fees are based on the Scale of fees and charges for road traffic related services (GebOSt).
- Section 13 Vehicle Registration Law (FZV) – Duty to inform of changes
- Scale of fees and charges for road traffic related services (GebOSt).
The responsible registration authorities (Einwohnermeldeamt) must be informed about the re-registration before the vehicle documents can be amended to your new name or address.
The vehicle registration authorities will forward the report of changes automatically to the central customs office.
As of 1 November 2009, you have the option of keeping your current car registration number if you move to a different address within the state of Hesse. This saves you the cost of a new number plate. For this purpose, please contact the licencing authority in your administrative district or your autonomous city (for the new address). You should bring with you the registration papers part I and part II (vehicle certificate/document – Fahrzeugschein and Fahrzeugbrief), a valid ID card or passport with confirmation of registration (Meldebestätigung) and confirmation of insurance (eVB number), if applicable.
Please note that you can only have the address amended in the vehicle certificate (vehicle registration document part I – Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil I) in the citizens’ office of the Dreieich city administration.
Changes in name or of a technical nature can only be undertaken in the registration office of the district of Offenbach in Dietzenbach or at a local office of the registration authorities in Langen, Mühlheim or Seligenstadt.